The Beginning


Three years ago, I spent a lot of time and a lot of money going to a career counselor. I think I have skills and experience, but am not able to see how they are marketable. The counselor asked me to do several soul/self searching exercises in an attempt to get to the bottom of what is most important in my life. Every exercise I did turned up three things that I need in my life to function: a relationship with God, constant learning, and creativity.

I think a creative look at life helps to make it bearable.  In an undergrad choreography class, my teacher always said, "give the audience a flower." That has stuck with me for....well, I am not admitting how may years. Let's just say it was very memorable. She meant that a choreographer should add bits that make the audience smile or nod their heads in understanding or pleasure. That is probably true for all art forms. I have come to believe that creative responses to daily stuff are the flowers we crave each day.

A couple months ago, I read this book.  I have to say that this is what prompted me to quit my personal blog and start this one.... the hunt for creativity. It will be about a relationship with God, constant learning, and creativity.




Briefly, the book is about a guy who had a job that was boring him sick. When he started in his career, the job was exciting and he was passionate about it everyday. Yeah, things have a way of getting old and stale. And the job he loved became a drudge. One day, he wandered into a rehearsal of a Cirque de Soleil performance and struck up a very interesting relationship with that organization. In the end, he realized what he had originally loved about his job was the creativity he needed to have success. Eventually, it became business and he used the techniques and processes that had always worked for success. Through a change of thought process, he was able to recapture some of the creativity and interest from the early years of his job.

So, I am there. Entrenched. Buried. A bit bored. I work in an industry that inspires creativity in people. Yet, I use little to no creativity in my job. Seems weird, but it is true. I am a designer whose left brain has taken over. After all these years, I know how to do the job quickly and efficiently, and have stopped the experimentation and fun.


So, we are gathered here today to begin a journey to find the flowers in our days.  Let's go.......





0 creative thoughts:

Leave a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitors

Contact Me:

kballor@aol.com